Wiki Vein Harvest

Open harvest of the lower extremity is covered in the procedure. If the procedure is done minimally invasive you can charge 33508. Open Harvest of an upper extremity vein is 35500.

Thank! I kinda had this question thrown at me and I'm not a Cardiothoracic coder :)

It seems you can bill

33508 for endovascular harvest of the saphenous vein , but the open technique it included????

3550 for upper extremity vein ( I'm assuming no endovascular procedure exist for this harvest????)

35572 for Femoropopliteal vein ( I'm assuming no endovascular procedure exist for this harvest????)

Can you please confirm?

Thank you!

More Info?

Open harvest of the lower extremity is covered in the procedure. If the procedure is done minimally invasive you can charge 33508. Open Harvest of an upper extremity vein is 35500.

I am not sure that 33508 should be billed with a CABG code. As the procurement of the saphenous vein in included in the primary code according to the CPT book. Can you tell me from what source you received the above information??

The CPT book does not specify that an "open harvest" is included but an "endoscopic harvest" can be separately reportable. There is a current debate going on my CT office regarding whether we can bill this or not. Any reputable links to additional information on this would be appreciated!!

Thank You!

I know, the CPT book didn't do the best job of explaining the vein harvest. I know the instructions you are talking about that state the procurement of the saphenous vein is included however, in the book, right before that paragraph, is the code 33508. The description of which is "Endoscopy, surgical, including video-assisted harvest of vein(s) for coronary artery bypass procedure (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)." This code is an add-on code that can only be billed with cabg codes so clearly, the endoscopic vein harvest is allowed.

Lisi, CPC
eharkler@nmh.org