Wiki Venous Atherectomy?

ablythe

Networker
Best answers
Is there a current CPT code for a venous atherectomy? My physician performed an atherectomy in the common iliac vein.

Thanks,

Allison
CPC, CCC

Is there a current CPT code for a venous atherectomy? My physician performed an atherectomy in the common iliac vein.

Thanks,

Allison
CPC, CCC

Hi Allison,
Do you have an operative report for the procedure? I have not heard of an atherectomy in the venous system.
Thanks,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Hi Jim,

I had not heard of it being done in the venous system either. The operative report says, in part, "The previously placed 6F sheath was exchanged for a 8F introducer. A Spartacore wire was placed in the IVC. Atherectomy was performed in the common femoral to common iliac veins with use of a Turbohawk atherectomy device. Repeat IVUS imaging was performed after atherectomy. The lesion in the native common femoral vein extending into the common femoral vein stent was treated with a 6.0x100mm Lutonix drug coated stent. We then performed serial PTA of the common femoral, external iliac and common iliac veins with 10mmx40mm, 12mmx40mm and 14mmx40mm Dorado ballons and Vida ballons. IVUS imaging was repeated after PTA with manual pullback. Final venography showed excellent result with no severe stenosis but significant residual ISR. There was notable recoil at the lesion in the native common femoral vein although the severity of the stenosis had decreased from 80% to 40%."

Thanks again for looking at this.

Allison, CPC, CCC

Hi Jim,

I had not heard of it being done in the venous system either. The operative report says, in part, "The previously placed 6F sheath was exchanged for a 8F introducer. A Spartacore wire was placed in the IVC. Atherectomy was performed in the common femoral to common iliac veins with use of a Turbohawk atherectomy device. Repeat IVUS imaging was performed after atherectomy. The lesion in the native common femoral vein extending into the common femoral vein stent was treated with a 6.0x100mm Lutonix drug coated stent. We then performed serial PTA of the common femoral, external iliac and common iliac veins with 10mmx40mm, 12mmx40mm and 14mmx40mm Dorado ballons and Vida ballons. IVUS imaging was repeated after PTA with manual pullback. Final venography showed excellent result with no severe stenosis but significant residual ISR. There was notable recoil at the lesion in the native common femoral vein although the severity of the stenosis had decreased from 80% to 40%."

Thanks again for looking at this.

Allison, CPC, CCC

Hi Allison,
I just found in Dr. Z's book taht there are no codes for venous atherectomy. He says to use unlisted vascular code 37799 for that.
HTH,
Jim

Venous Atherectomy

Hi Jim,

That is what I was thinking. Thank you SO much for looking into this for me.

Allison