Wiki Veptr

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
Has anyone ever hrard of a VEPTR device to treat scoliosis? My doc put down instrumentation code (which was an add-oncode) by itself. Never heard of it.

Any ifno would be appreciated...:)

I am in San Antonio, Tx where VEPTR device was first implanted. We have been using the unlisted code with various charges. If you need more info let me know.

I am in San Antonio, Tx where VEPTR device was first implanted. We have been using the unlisted code with various charges. If you need more info let me know.

Thank you...I was thinking of using unlisted code 22899 (unlisted - spine) but am not sure what CPT/RVU to compare?

Seems like a bone graft/instrumentation combo...not sure though.

Thanks...:)

We've been using 32999 and getting reimbursed. Just make sure you submit Operative Reports with your claim. Most insurances now reimbursement without incident but of course some do require appeals.

We've been using 32999 and getting reimbursed. Just make sure you submit Operative Reports with your claim. Most insurances now reimbursement without incident but of course some do require appeals.

What CPT code would you use to compare RVU's? Do you have a hard time getting these paid?

Thanks...;)

Depends

For INITIAL surgery (first implanting the VEPTR device)
Rib-to-rib -or- Rib-to-pelvis -- CPT 22189 Unlisted thoracic (price based on 22840)

Rib-to-spine -- CPT 22899 Unlisted spinal (price based on 22842)

IF performed - also code 21600 Excision of rib, partial

For BILATERAL procedure, bill on two lines with RT and 59/LT modifiers

EXPANSION surgery
CPT 21899 Unlisted procedure thorax (price based on 22849)

EXCHANGE surgery (without new segments)
Use unlisted codes as for initial placement (price based on 22849)

EXCHANGE surgery - rib-to-rib changed for rib-to-spine OR rib-to-pelvis
CPT 22899 unlisted procedure, spine (price based on 22849 -22)

MODIFIERS used
-62 if general or thoracic surgeon is performing part of procedure
-RT and -59/LT if bilateral

I got this from our Pediatric Ortho coder. Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
THANK YOU TESSA- UNFORTUNATELY MY DR DOESN'T WANT TO USE THE UNLISTED CODE....NONE OF MY DR'S DO...DON'T KNOW WHY I EVEN MENTIONED IT!!!:eek:

You have a battle

I feel your pain - our ortho docs HATE unlisted codes!

Still, There is NO code for this procedure. You can't use the spinal instrumentation codes because:
1) they're not attaching anything to the spine (most of the time)
and
2) the instrumentation codes are add-ons and you need to have the spinal fusion code first.

Maybe you should try to get some printed info from Christus Santa Rosa Orthopedics (where the VEPTR procedure was developed) and other leading instutions on this. That's what we did when we started doing it.

Good luck.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:

Hello. I code for a Children's hospital where they do the VEPTR placement. I know that it has to be billed with an unlisted code, but I'm interested to know what you use for comparison codes. I have been using spinal instrumentation codes (22843, 22844) for compare codes, but the RVU's and price doesn't seem to be appropriate for this procedure.

Thanks in advance,
Kristie