Wiki Virtual reality in therapy billing and authorization

Best answers
I am new to behavioral health billing. My provider is interested in doing virtual reality within a therapy session. Does anyone have any experience/advise on the billing and coding for this? We were advised that we could bill it seperately from the therapy session. Is this the case? And, what does the authorization look like for this?
Any help is appreciated.

I am new to behavioral health billing. My provider is interested in doing virtual reality within a therapy session. Does anyone have any experience/advise on the billing and coding for this? We were advised that we could bill it seperately from the therapy session. Is this the case? And, what does the authorization look like for this?
Any help is appreciated.
Hi there, did you receive any documentation to support the ability to report VR therapy?

At any rate, according to the CPT editorial panel there will be a category III code for "virtual reality mediated therapy" in 2023. So you would report it separately, but you're unlikely to get paid.

Hi there, did you receive any documentation to support the ability to report VR therapy?

At any rate, according to the CPT editorial panel there will be a category III code for "virtual reality mediated therapy" in 2023. So you would report it separately, but you're unlikely to get paid.

Thank you for the information. The sales rep from a virtual care organization states we can bill it seperately, but we all know sales reps will tell you anything to get you to purchase their product. That is why I was looking for clarification. I will do some research on coverage for the new codes for 2023.