Wiki visit denied due to modifier 55

jebond123

Contributor
Best answers
Our patient was seen and treated surgically at the local hospital for an ectopic pregnancy. She was told to follow up with her gyn, which she did. I submitted 99213 with modifier 55 (icd10 O00.90) and it was denied stating: "The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used or a required modifier is missing. Usage: Refer to the 835 Healthcare Policy Identification Segment (loop 2110 Service Payment Information REF), if present.N657 : This should be billed with the appropriate code for these services." Am I wrong in my usage of modifier 55? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Our patient was seen and treated surgically at the local hospital for an ectopic pregnancy. She was told to follow up with her gyn, which she did. I submitted 99213 with modifier 55 (icd10 O00.90) and it was denied stating: "The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used or a required modifier is missing. Usage: Refer to the 835 Healthcare Policy Identification Segment (loop 2110 Service Payment Information REF), if present.N657 : This should be billed with the appropriate code for these services." Am I wrong in my usage of modifier 55? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are some instructions on Modifier 55 from the Noridian website - it looks like the physician providing the postoperative management should be billing the surgical code with modifier 55, not an office visit.

• Physician rendering additional postoperative care
    • Submit claim with surgery date and procedure code
    • Include date span of assumed care in Item 19 narrative of CMS-1500 claim form or electronic equivalent
    • Submit claim with number of units as 1

Here are some instructions on Modifier 55 from the Noridian website - it looks like the physician providing the postoperative management should be billing the surgical code with modifier 55, not an office visit.

• Physician rendering additional postoperative care
    • Submit claim with surgery date and procedure code
    • Include date span of assumed care in Item 19 narrative of CMS-1500 claim form or electronic equivalent
    • Submit claim with number of units as 1
Thank you - much appreciated!