Wiki Vitamin D, unspecified

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
B
Code: E55.9
Vitamin D deficiency, unspecified
Avitaminosis D
Parent Code Notes: E55
Excludes1: adult osteomalacia (M83.-)
osteoporosis (M80.-)
sequelae of rickets (E64.3)

Block Notes
Other nutritional deficiencies (E50-E64)
Excludes 2: nutritional anemias (D50-D53)

Coding Guidelines
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E89)
Note: All neoplasms, whether functionally active or not, are classified in Chapter 2. Appropriate codes in this chapter (i.e. E05.8, E07.0, E16-E31, E34.-) may be used as additional codes to indicate either functional activity by neoplasms and ectopic endocrine tissue or hyperfunction and hypofunction of endocrine glands associated with neoplasms and other conditions classified elsewhere.
Excludes 1: transitory endocrine and metabolic disorders specific to newborn (P70-P74)
Best answers
My doctors use Vitamin D Deficiency a lot! I can't seem to find a code for this that isn't unspecified. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Best answers
My doctors use Vitamin D Deficiency a lot! I can't seem to find a code for this that isn't unspecified. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

In the index, the lookup would be Deficiency, deficient>Vitamin>D
E55.9 Vitamin D deficiency, unspecified

There are some additional choices if the patient has vitamin D deficiency with... rickets, adult osteomalacia, etc

Last edited: