Wiki Volunteering is EASY

keep+

Best answers
At least that's what I thought. The only answers I'm getting back from contacting facilities is, "We don't do that here," and different variations of that.

Can someone please explain why they won't let volunteers into the doors? Is it a confidentiality issue?

The Xtern program is just as bad from the AAPC.

If anyone knows a place in New Jersey where they help volunteers get experience, please let me know. I'm more than desperate now.

Thank you.

I would suggest getting yourself an ally on the inside somewhere because the bottom line is most offices/facilities don't think they have time/resources to deal with volunteers. So unless you have someone willing to fight for the program, it won't happen.

In order to utilize volunteers someone has to be taken off line to train and monitor until you are somewhat self-sufficient. Then you can work fairly independently but someone has to validate what you have done, fix any errors, and take time to educate you on them.

I personally think it is worth the time to invest in volunteers and when I was in-house I did. I had to convince management that be it would be of benefit and had to go above and beyond my own personal responsibilities to make it happen. Some of the people worked out and ended up with jobs either with us or with other companies based on our recommendation. Some of the people didn't work out at all but hopefully still benefited from their time with us.

While I don't think confidentiality has anything to do with it, cost does. Anytime they take someone offline to train that costs the company money (both in salary for the trainer and lost productivity). Anytime they have to set up a new user in a system or multiple systems, that costs the company as well.

I don't have any contacts in NJ that are in a position to help but I certainly wish you the best.

Good luck,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC

I Give Up

Thank you for your honesty, Laura. Thank you for what you have done for others in my position. I can't do anything more.

I finish my course and I'm working on my CPC. Still looking for something to get me close to medical coding but everybody want experience. Very frustrate and desperate. Please help me with any suggestion. I'm living in Tampa. Florida. Thank you,
Sandra

I was told the same thing when I was fresh out of school. When I finally secured a job in coding I discovered they had several paid interns! Hmphf. I would suggest going to meetings and make acquaintances. That is how ALL of our interns secured their position. They were sons/daughters of employees, schoolmates of employees, neighbors or friends of friends of employees etc.