Wiki w,x,y,z codes- when to use and when not to

mboom

Best answers
Hi. I am working in Practicode and can't figure out when to use w,x,y,z codes and when not to.
For instance, in one ED case, an 88 year old man fell and was pinned between bed and wall > 12 hours before meals-on-wheels found him. I did use W code for fall and was not supposed to. in another case, a drunk woman fell off a barstool in a restaurant, and I did not use any wxyz codes and WAS supposed to. also, in the former case, and EKG was done and coded, but in the latter, 2 MRI's were done but not supposed to be coded. Help!! Thanks.

Hi. I am working in Practicode and can't figure out when to use w,x,y,z codes and when not to.
For instance, in one ED case, an 88 year old man fell and was pinned between bed and wall > 12 hours before meals-on-wheels found him. I did use W code for fall and was not supposed to. in another case, a drunk woman fell off a barstool in a restaurant, and I did not use any wxyz codes and WAS supposed to. also, in the former case, and EKG was done and coded, but in the latter, 2 MRI's were done but not supposed to be coded. Help!! Thanks.

These codes can never be first listed and always go with an injury. Why were you told to not code them and why would you not Cade an MRI if one was performed? Can you supply more information?

The Practicode cases are not always coded properly. If there is supposed to be an external cause code and its not there make sure to fill out the feedback form so they can correct it. Sadly many are off on other things not just external cause. Practicode cases feel more like audit cases.

Last edited: