Wiki Waiving Copays

Best answers
I was just given an ad in the local newspaper. It is from another doctor stating if you bring in this ad, we'll waive your HMO copays!

There is no way on earth this is okay right? Isn't this sort of thing not only a violation of most insurance contracts, but also the Anti-Kickback Statute?

Thank you!

Okay, so I'm not crazy!

I was shown an image of the ad and I know my doctors have been trying to be SO good about not waiving fees until they have certain information about the finances of the patient and so on...it is just a smack in their face so of course they asked me about it. My reaction was "Of course he can't do that!!!! Oh my gosh that is really bad!"

I'm tempted to give their office a call and let them know they can't do that....so many small offices in this area just have NO clue about rules/laws they should be following.

I would report to the insurance commissioner. Calling the doctors office would do no good. They don't know the guidelines...they took out an ad in the paper. Waiving copays are to be done on a case by case basis and only if evidence of financial difficulty is proven. I'm sure the insurance companies will not agree on inviting patients in with the promise of waiving copays!

Last edited:
Totally against the law. The copay is an agreement between the person and their insurance. I have to remind my docs of that often. They want to waive copays for fellow doctors. A fellow doctor should know that we can't do that.

"Professional courtesy" (AKA waiving co-payments for doctors) is an old practice that is dying out (because it's illegal). Most doctors don't keep up with billing compliance issues, so those with knowledgeable office managers are aware, but those with ignorant managers are still clueless.