Wiki Walk-in Visits - FQHC

slewis1

Best answers
Hello,

I work in a clinic where the psychiatrists are seeing a lot of new pts as walk-ins which are 30 minute appointments.
These patients are seen on an urgent basis and usually have a diagnosis such as anxiety or depression, etc.
Our providers are not eligible to bill the HCPCS crisis codes.
The providers do not have enough time to finish a complete diagnostic assessment so I do not believe they have a billable encounter.

We are an FQHC where we could get paid for a visit every time there is a face to face encounter if the patient has MA.
Currently I am using the CPT code 90899 which is an unlisted psychiatric service that we have in our EMR with a $0 attached.
I have the BH supervisor asking me if there is any possible way that we can bill the first visit out as a 90862 or any other billable code.

Thank you.

Melissa Arnett
banke029@umn.edu

There is no time limit on a 90801, so that is an option. Or you could bill an E M code such as a 99203,99204,99205 or 99213-99215. I would not bill a 90862 as that is not the intent of visit.Are the dr's providing therapy during this visit?Could look at 90805 and 90807