Wiki Wedge Compression

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: S32.000B

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Wedge compression fracture of unspecified lumbar vertebra, initial encounter for open fracture

Block: Injuries to the abdomen, lower back, lumbar spine, pelvis and external genitals (S30-S39)
Includes: injuries to the abdominal wall
injuries to the anus
injuries to the buttock
injuries to the external genitalia
injuries to the flank
injuries to the groin

Excludes 2: burns and corrosions (T20-T32)
effects of foreign body in anus and rectum (T18.5)
effects of foreign body in genitourinary tract (T19.-)
effects of foreign body in stomach, small intestine and colon (T18.2-T18.4)
frostbite (T33-T34)
insect bite or sting, venomous (T63.4)

Details: Wedge compression fracture of unspecified lumbar vertebra, initial encounter for open fracture
S32

Code first any associated spinal cord and spinal nerve injury (S34.-)

Includes: fracture of lumbosacral neural arch
fracture of lumbosacral spinous process
fracture of lumbosacral transverse process
fracture of lumbosacral vertebra
fracture of lumbosacral vertebral arch

Excludes1: transection of abdomen (S38.3)

Excludes2: fracture of hip NOS (S72.0-)

Guidelines: Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)

Note: Use secondary code(s) from Chapter 20 , External causes of morbidity, to indicate cause of injury. Codes within the T section that include the external cause do not require an additional external cause code

Note: The chapter uses the S-section for coding different types of injuries related to single body regions and the T-section to cover injuries to unspecified body regions as well as poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes.

Use additional code to identify any retained foreign body, if applicable (Z18.-)

Excludes 1: birth trauma (P10-P15)
obstetric trauma (O70-O71)

For more details on S32.000B, ICD-10 Code for Wedge compression fracture of unspecified lumbar vertebra, initial encounter for open fracture , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

PDecell

Contributor
Best answers
:confused:I'm looking for some help with a diagnosis code. I have an OP radiology report with a dx of "anterior wedge compressions at L1 & L2"- no mention of fracture. I found codes for wedge-shaped vertebra and wedging vertebra but they code to osteoporosis which didn't seem right. Does anyone have any advice on a code for this?

boozaarn

Guru
Best answers
anterior wedge compressions

I usually have the wording "deformity" with it so I am coding it as a deformity of spine.

AnnNet56

Best answers
It's been my experience that wedge deformities are actually compression fractures of the spine - I have always coded these as pathological fractures *IF* the report states that is the case - as I recall I usually saw these in elderly patients. ICD9 would be 733.13

If the compression fx is due to trauma, then code it accordingly :)