Wiki What are the rules regarding inactivating patients in your EMR?

khristinelouise

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone direct me to where I can find info regarding whether it is or is not permissible to inactivate a patients chart and how long you have to wait to do this? I know that (in my state at least) if you haven't seen a patient in three years they are no longer considered your patient. But if it has been less time than that and you can't reach the patient by phone or mail, can you deactivate their file? Any input would be appreciated.

You can discharge a patient when your office sees fit; non-payment, inactivity, rude. Inactivity is the cause of the 3 year rule of thumb.

Discharging a patient is separate from keeping records though.

Texas Medical Board Rule 165.1(b) directs physicians to retain medical records as follows:

Keep an adequate medical record for each patient for a minimum of seven years from the anniversary date of last treatment by the physician.

If a patient was younger than 18 years of age when last treated by the physician, keep the medical records until the patient reaches age 21, or for seven years from the date of last treatment, whichever is longer.