Wiki What are the Technical Aspects of Remote Coding Positions?

kbrandt101

Contributor
Best answers
Hi everyone. I have been interested in remote positions but have been hesitant as I don't quite understand what's involved on the technical side. For anyone with experience they wouldn't mind sharing:
  1. How did you connect to the client?
  2. Did they provide a computer or require you have a personal computer (no other users)?
  3. How did they monitor and ensure that you were secure or didn't cause a breach?
I currently work in a consulting group where we remote or VPN then remote into client systems for our work and I'm wondering how similar that would be with a home set-up. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Note: I've been searching online for references of what to expect or guidelines but haven't found any confirmations.

Hi everyone. I have been interested in remote positions but have been hesitant as I don't quite understand what's involved on the technical side. For anyone with experience they wouldn't mind sharing:
  1. How did you connect to the client?
  2. Did they provide a computer or require you have a personal computer (no other users)?
  3. How did they monitor and ensure that you were secure or didn't cause a breach?
I currently work in a consulting group where we remote or VPN then remote into client systems for our work and I'm wondering how similar that would be with a home set-up. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Note: I've been searching online for references of what to expect or guidelines but haven't found any confirmations.

What you are currently doing to access clients sounds the same as I what I did. Each of the other answers can be different with each employer.

1. I worked in revenue cycle and I connected to our client hospitals through AnyConnect, FortiClient, Pulse, VMware, Citrix access systems and remote desktop. Several of the hospitals had a two-point security check so you had to register your work cell phone with them as well.

2. My employer provided all the equipment and paid for part of my phone/internet, but not all do. Some employers provide no equipment or funds for your internet/phone.

3. So long as your office is separate from the common areas of the house (and preferably the office door locks), you do not use your work computer for personal internet browsing--EVER, you do not store PHI on your computer hard drive, any PHI papers you print is shredding as soon as you are done with it, and your connection point (IE router etc) are password protected, that is all you can do from home that I am aware of. The rest is done through the security of the software you are using to connect.

****Be aware that any contract jobs (1099) you take will result in you paying much higher taxes at the end of the year. As a W-2 employee, your employer pays some towards your SS and Medicare. A contract (1099) employee pays their normal part and what the employer would have paid. In my experience, you can make a good guess about 30% of your wages will go to the government (FICA, SS, and Medicare combined). Keep this in mind when you are asked what wage you would accept. Unless the job posting already stated, the first question you need to ask: "Is this a W-2 position or a contract (1099) position." Figure out in advance what you want for a W-2 position, and a higher figure for a contract position.

Last edited: