Wiki What certification to pursue next?

tmarugg

Best answers
So I took my CPC exam this past Saturday. But now I wonder, when I pass, what should my next move be? I watched a CertificationCoachingOrg video on YouTube and I've narrowed down what I like.

I have worked in medical billing for over 20 years, primarily physician offices. I have done billing, coding, appeals, posting payments, fee schedules, etc, etc, etc. You name it, I've done it! :eek:

I know I like CPT over diagnosis coding. I know I like the payment methodology/reimbursement part of coding/billing. I live in a rural area, and don't mind working remotely.

At first I thought I wanted to pursue the CPMA, but I think that requires more of a clinical background. Now I'm looking at the CRC, but I'm not sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

CRC is all DX but its easier to get a remote job in it. I went with COC second since its CPC with more reimbursement type questions. I have not started the CRC course through CCO yet.

Cpma?

Tammy-

I obtained my CPMA first, then CPC. Backwards, I know... I didn't find the CPMA exam to be heavy on the clinical side. It was more about the regulations/ laws and then did get in to auditing E/M /op reports/rad/PT/ etc. If you like to pick apart reports and decipher what was actually done (abstracting) plus wanting to know how to audit, this would be a good choice for you. I can tell you that I have had a lot of contacts for auditing since October with HEDIS coming up and recruiters looking for provider educators. If that is up you alley, you might enjoy auditing.Good luck with your decision.