Wiki What do I wear?

Best answers
Hello,

I am having a little dilemma. I was finally offered a position as a HIM coder at a hospital. This is a career change for me and I have never worked in the medical field. I'm not quite sure what to wear! Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

Congratulations! :)

Typically, if you're working in a business office, you'll have to dress business casual (dress pants, nice blouse, etc.). But, if you'll be working in an area that is frequented by patients (ie. a receptionist area), you may have to wear scrubs. Your best bet is to ask your new manager, or look around the office to see what your co-workers are wearing.

Best of luck!

Congratulations! :)

Typically, if you're working in a business office, you'll have to dress business casual (dress pants, nice blouse, etc.). But, if you'll be working in an area that is frequented by patients (ie. a receptionist area), you may have to wear scrubs. Your best bet is to ask your new manager, or look around the office to see what your co-workers are wearing.

Best of luck!

When I worked in the facility in the HIM department the dress code was very strict. For example we were required to always wear close toed shoes, no sandals. No tank tops, no sleeveless tops. One hospital required that we purchase a specific jacket of the same color and always had to have it on. As far a jewelry, we were restricted to the same as the floor nurses, meaning no dangle earrings or large rings. So it just depends on the stated dress code in the hospital policies and procedures. While it may not be specifically pointed out to you it is in there. You should read the policies and procedures annual very carefully.

I recommend business (not business casual). Trousers or skirt (preferably a skirt if you're a woman), blouse, jacket. You're better off to be over-dressed than under dressed. If you can get your hands on the dress code policy, make sure you don't violate anything documented in that.

You're a professional. Dress the part.