Wiki what do you think of the E/M Companion textbook?

Best answers
I still have to buy my 2023 codebooks at AAPC. I am very interested in buying this E/M Companion, because as a CPC-A not in his first coding job yet, I'm still too weak in E/M (and also basically afraid of it, which only feeds my weakness). Anyway, do you recommend investing in a package containing that book?

Hi there, I admit I don't understand why you have to get your books from a particular vendor, but the AMA is selling the 2023 CPT manual and E/M companion book as a bundle. I think the only way to get just the book is to buy the e-book.

If it makes you feel any better, recent changes to level-based E/M mean it is much easier to code.

Hi there, I admit I don't understand why you have to get your books from a particular vendor, but the AMA is selling the 2023 CPT manual and E/M companion book as a bundle. I think the only way to get just the book is to buy the e-book.

If it makes you feel any better, recent changes to level-based E/M mean it is much easier to code.
Yeah, I had a feeling someone would think I mean that I must buy from AAPC, when the point was really to ask how worth it this E/M book is. Whether it's essential to someone who's weak in E/M. AAPC is just where I looked first. I'll look in the AMA store next.

I am looking forward to reading about, and having Zoom meetings on, the E/M changes.

Last edited:
Got it. To be clear: I you buy the manual from an authorized vendor you will also get (and pay for) the E/M book. However, I don't think the E/M book is adding that much to the price, and because E/M visits make up a huge portion of revenue for most specialties you'll definitely use the information in it.