Wiki what does "each" indicate on 28475?

codeforever

Networker
Best answers
If there are 2 metatarsal fractures and one manipulation, I'm not sure what "each" means on code. Do I need to add modifier or something?

Thanks

"Each" would mean each metatarsal. So if there were 2 MT fx's and only one required a manipulation then you'd bill a 28475 (with manipulation) and a 28470 (without manipulation) along with the correct modifiers to signify which toes were fractured.

Metatarsal Fracture

Metatarsal Fractures I don't think are coded with the "Toe" modifiers. Those modifiers would be used on a Fracture of the Phalanx [toe] such as 28510 or 28515 if manipulated.

I use units for metatarsal fractures and add a comment note to the claim form on which metatarsals are fractured, 1st, 2nd, etc.

Would like to hear from other ortho billers on this scenario.

Thanks,
Cw

MT fractures

Metatarsal Fractures I don't think are coded with the "Toe" modifiers. Those modifiers would be used on a Fracture of the Phalanx [toe] such as 28510 or 28515 if manipulated.

I use units for metatarsal fractures and add a comment note to the claim form on which metatarsals are fractured, 1st, 2nd, etc.

Would like to hear from other ortho billers on this scenario.

Thanks,
Cw

I just wanted to clarify that I was being generic by saying toes. I was not stating that a "T" modifier needed to be used. I agree with your comment otherwise. The toe is defined as the area between the distal to the mid metatarsal-phalangeal joint so if the fracture falls within those areas then a "T" modifier would be appropriate. :p

Metatarsal Fractures

I thank you for responding. I learn something new every day and actually like getting these "second opinions".

Have a great day!

CW