Wiki What dx to use for IOL? or admitted to L&D for normal contractions?

Coder07

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
I was wondering what dx you would use when pt presents to hospital for induction of labor? I have some pts that come in for this but not sure what code to use they have no other issue other then "occasional contractions".

Also would you use O47.# when pt presents to hospital with normal contractions and pt ends up being admitted to L&D? There is no other issues just a normal pregnancy so they come in for normal contractions over 37wks.

Thanks!

I believe your doctors should be documenting the reason for the induction, especially if the patient is not at 40wks. O47 is false labor, so would not use in your example. I would just use the Z34 code- there is not a code for spontaneous labor, contractions, etc.

Hello Cmama12,🍼😉
I think of course follow provider's documentation but see dx codes of O60 Preterm Labor without delivery or dxO62.3 or dx O62.4 as first dx then with dx blocks of Z34 and Z3A listing term weeks. I hope this data helps you.:)
Lady T🫃

Last edited:
Hello Cmama12,🍼😉
I think of course follow provider's documentation but see dx codes of O60 Preterm Labor without delivery or dxO62.3 or dx O62.4 as first dx then with dx blocks of Z34 and Z3A listing term weeks. I hope this data helps you.:)
Lady T🫃
Hi, there wasn't any mention specifically of pre-term...nor precipitate labor nor anything that would fall under O62.4.... Of course everything depends on the documentation.