Wiki What is considered an implant? Please respond

ortho1991

Guru
Best answers
HI All this may be a silly question but physician wants to bill for implant removal of the ankle 20680, he did a ligament repair with OrthoCord. Pt is now having issues with this and Doc when back to remove or debride the orthocord This is how the note reads. The skin and soft tissues were carefully dissected avoiding any neurovascular structures. The suture knots where the OrthoCord was placed in the lateral ligament complex were easily identified as they were prominent and had an abundant hypertrophic scar tissue around them. All encountered suture knots were sharply debrided and removed. So my question is would OrthoCord be considered an implant? I don't believe so but before I go to the physician I would like other opinions.

Implants

I would consider the cord an implant. An implant is anything that is used to hold internal structures in place. You may want to ask about his documentation. If a simple incision was made to remove the implant and the wound was closed with simple closure, 20670 would be appropriate.

20680 is for removal of deeper implants and usually requires more of a layered closure.