Wiki What is the starting - I understand

I would like to add something. Yes pay is based on knowledge of the field you are trying to code for. But it is also the person and the drive that person has. I have been a certified coder for a little over a year, coding for about 3 overall. I am in a position now where I am begining to audit. I left my previous job where i first started coding at a decent pay and jumped up drastically. I am a type A personality and feel it's because of my personallity that I have been able to get this far. I am not stopping, testing soon for CEMC and possibly the CPCO after that.
I believe its experience but also the persons ability, accuracy, attitude and drive.
If you have a passion for your job you will be successful, if not you may as well be doing retail. (no ofense to those in retail,done that too. just not my thing)
Best if luck in what ever your decison is.
Lynda

I have been billing for over 10 years and became a certified coder a couple years ago. I started out at 14/hr in Maryland but I make much more than that now. I have not been able to find any remote positions that are willing to pay what make on site though. The more experience you have the more valuable you are. I would not get discouraged! There are good practices out there willing to pay for good employees. Dont give up.

In New England, starting pay for new coding assistants is between $12-15 per hour. Most staff coders make in the $17-25 per hour range. Auditors bring in salaries over $50K or higher, about $25-32 per hour.

More education is helpful; most coders I know of have at least an Associates' Degree, some have a BS. But overall, experience is a key factor.

I might as well bring this up since someone bumped my old thread. My ultimate career goal is to become a medical auditor. Do you need a BS to do so? Do you need your RHIA? How much experience do you need to become an auditor?

I have been billing for over 10 years and became a certified coder a couple years ago. I started out at 14/hr in Maryland but I make much more than that now. I have not been able to find any remote positions that are willing to pay what make on site though. The more experience you have the more valuable you are. I would not get discouraged! There are good practices out there willing to pay for good employees. Dont give up.

What are you making now if you don't mind me asking? I started off at 12 an hour in the billing practice I work for. Then, I got bumped up to 14 once I obtained my CPC-A.

I would like to add something. Yes pay is based on knowledge of the field you are trying to code for. But it is also the person and the drive that person has. I have been a certified coder for a little over a year, coding for about 3 overall. I am in a position now where I am begining to audit. I left my previous job where i first started coding at a decent pay and jumped up drastically. I am a type A personality and feel it's because of my personallity that I have been able to get this far. I am not stopping, testing soon for CEMC and possibly the CPCO after that.
I believe its experience but also the persons ability, accuracy, attitude and drive.
If you have a passion for your job you will be successful, if not you may as well be doing retail. (no ofense to those in retail,done that too. just not my thing)
Best if luck in what ever your decison is.
Lynda

I have a passion for medical coding. However, my current employer will not let me advance past collections. I had an interview in a hospital. I am still waiting to hear if I received the job.

You didn't come off as a jerk....There's nothing wrong with what you want...to be successful and make a lot of money! It's your dream...What's important to them (being passionate and not necessarily making money) is their choice. You just have a different goal. There's nothing wrong with that at all! To each their own. Get off school people! haha seriously geez

Wow

Unfortunately, the going rate seems be starting around $11-12 per hour and topping out at about 18/hr. I, too was misled in the amount of money one could make coding. We were promised all the great and wonderful travel opportunities and working for companies at home and making $50-75/ hr doing this. Ok, IF they are there, I haven't been able to find them. Believe me, I have tried.:(

HOLY COW!! I have a Masters in Public Administration - Health Services, 20 years of experience in medical coding and I am not CLOSE to $50 an hour, much less $75. Salaries may be higher in NY or LA than they are here in Milwaukee, WI, but still!!

Not very realistic in my opinion...
Shelly