Wiki What level of risk would you give...

jenpudua32

Contributor
Best answers
What level of risk would you give syncope resulting in blunt trauma of the head, neck, chest, abdomen, and a motor vehicle accident? In my opinion, this qualifies as an abrupt change in neuro status since it is a loss of consciousness which is under the high-risk section on the table of risk. What is your opinion?

Last edited:
The risk definition changes slightly depending on whether you are coding for outpatient vs inpatient or ER.
Outpatient no longer considers problems, but rather focus on the treatment/management options. (I assume because problems is now a separate element of MDM).
If this was for inpatient or ER, I would consider the risk high. Just don't forget risk is only 1 element of MDM and MDM is only 1 element of the overall requirements.

The risk definition changes slightly depending on whether you are coding for outpatient vs inpatient or ER.
Outpatient no longer considers problems, but rather focus on the treatment/management options. (I assume because problems is now a separate element of MDM).
If this was for inpatient or ER, I would consider the risk high. Just don't forget risk is only 1 element of MDM and MDM is only 1 element of the overall requirements.
Thank you for your reply and I agree. So would you agree that the syncope is an abrupt change in neuro status?

Absent a documented simple or known medical explanation, I would consider a patient losing consciousness while driving high risk.
Situations where syncope itself might not be high risk:
- patient very briefly passed out after seeing blood
- it wasn't actually syncope but rather falling asleep at the wheel
- known existing hypotension or extreme dehydration