Wiki What next CPB?

shilpajones

Best answers
This may not be the appropriate place to ask this but I am to take my supposed to take the CPB exam this Saturday. I took the online course and am currently follow up biller. I'm just not sure what to expect on this exam. I am CPC certified and didn't know what next step I should take in order to advance my career. I would like to know about my options. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best book for reimbursement management? Thank you Shilpa Jones

Hi Shilpa,

I was in your exact shoes a year ago. While working as a biller, I obtained my CPC and CPB. After a year of billing, I began to apply to any open coding position in my city. After 3 months, I landed a really great coding position.

Your billing experience is valuable. Not only does it expose you to CPT and ICD-10 codes, but also claim forms and payer specific policies. Many coders don't have billing experience and it leaves gaps in their applicable knowledge. If you want to be a coder, start approaching your job search like a job itself. Use your free time to scour for positions, polish your resume, network, etc. Play up your billing experience as it translates really well into a coding position. If you do this, I feel it is only a matter of time before you land a coding job.

Jay Mominee CPC, CPB, CPMA, CEMC