Wiki What type of coding job am I most qualiied for?

mloughry

Best answers
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out which jobs I am most qualified for at this point. I've had my CPC for about 2 years now but right now I am working at home for a Medical Staffing Agency and not really putting my coding skills to use. I worked for about 5 years, while I was going to school to get certified, in a very unconventional outpatient clinic that did not accept insurance. While I did a lot of ICD-9 and CPT coding, and set up bills for patients to submit to insurance companies, we didn't do anything in house. I am concerned about not knowing the rules and how to use HCPCS as well as I should because of this, and it has now been a few years since my coding classes. I feel like I could use a brush up, and I'm wondering what would help me. Should I be trying to take ICD-10 courses now? Should I take billing courses? Are there any Remote jobs out there where the billing skills are not as essential or they take less experienced coders? I'm not concerned with a high salary, I just need to convenience of working remotely. I can't really work out of the home, unless it is very very part time. Anyone have suggestions and ideas for me?

Thanks!
Melanie

If you want to brush up on your coding skills, a good way would be to attend local chapter meetings/events. Unfortunately, remote coding positions I have seen posted require several years of coding experience. Good luck!

accounts receivable

I learned a whole lot about coding when I had to work denied claims. There are some places who may hire a cpc to work the pending accounts receivables-where I last worked they hired people with no coding experience. Attend your local chapter meetings. We hire CPC-A's and always reach out to our 2 local chapters before the jobs are posted online.

Thanks for the info. It is hard for me to work out of the home unless it is very part time, which has been my struggle. I have a remote job in Medical Staffing right now but feel like I should be using my certification and trying to make a little more money.

CPC remote

I would suggest this is the perfect time to brush those skills up and study to get your CPC-H certification. There are more remote jobs available if you have the CCS (AHIMA) or CPC-H certification.

I am in your boat too. I have 20+ years experience in insurance, billing, A/R, claims processing, etc. I have limited time of actual coding even though I have had my CPC certification since 2006.

I am studying on my CPC-H, CPMA, and CPC-P currently. I am also taking the online courses through AAPC for the Anatomy and Pathophysiology for ICD-10. I want to take the new CPB test too. Anybody know if they give a discount for taking multiple exams in the same year?? hehe (crossing fingers)

I love the forums, I am on here daily reading and posting. Mainly in the Reimbursement forum since that is my forte, but I learn so much of what people are seeing and it keeps me up to date on coding and billing. :)

I too think that the forum is so helpful. It is helping me to figure out what my next step in the coding field needs to be. I am taking the CPC exam for the 2nd time this Saturday, May 4th. I came to the forum to take a break and to remind myself why I am working so hard to pass this exam. Wish me luck!