Wiki When to bill codes 92340/92341?

shofner14

Contributor
Best answers
What is the appropriate time to bill codes 92340/92341 (fitting of spectacles)...at time of exam/initial fitting or final fitting when product is dispensed?

I am also interested in this, as I am struggling with this as well. I feel like adding this code is to the exam codes and the refraction codes is double dipping. Any other input on this?

Whenever I've seen this code referred to on any of the coding sites, it's in regards to dispensing glasses to Medicaid patients. I know there was a recent OIG case where an optician in the Northeast was found guilty of billing this code inappropriately to the tune of more than $100k.
IMHO, if your office is selling glasses to patients, the fee to cover the dispensing of the glasses should be built into the total fees your charge.
Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

For my state, CA, we bill these codes to the MediCaid/Mcal program. Which one depends on the lens. single vision vs bifocals. This is how we are paid for our lenses. We are not able to bill with the custom V codes for the lenses. There is no other time we use these codes