Wiki When will Official (nondraft) editions be ready

mjb5019

Guru
Best answers
In order to successfully work through some of the Principles of icd-10-cm coding books, you need a copy of the icd 10 code sets. The ones that I have seen available all say DRAFT. Does anyone know when the OFFICIAL (nondraft) version will become available. If I remember correctly, they will be freezing the icd 9 & icd 10 codesets with only minor changes for new conditions and technologies this October. If I don't have to purchase a new ICD 9 this year, I'd like to get a icd 10.

The draft editions are fine to learn the code set, It will not be an official version until it comes out after July 2013 for Oct 1 2013 use, it will be the 2014 code book.

I was told at an AAPC ICD-10 boot camp (10/2011) the final copy would be available sometime in March 2012. I have not seen any updates.

Maybe, we really will not know for sure. The 2012 edition due out after March does contain a few revisions from the 2011 edition, some publishers are removing the word draft, HOWEVER, the freeze on the code sets effective this year is only a partial freeze, so if it is deemed in the greater public interest to have a new code or revise a code prior to 2013 then they will.