Wiki Where can I look to verify a CPT code can be billed in a specific POS setting?

ahodge90

Networker
Best answers
HELP!! I have been asked to confirm if the CPT code 26055 is allowed to be billed in a POS 11 setting and I am having issues with finding this information. Can anyone offer any guidance on where I can look to find this information? I have been to CMS site, but not finding what I am looking for.

HELP!! I have been asked to confirm if the CPT code 26055 is allowed to be billed in a POS 11 setting and I am having issues with finding this information. Can anyone offer any guidance on where I can look to find this information? I have been to CMS site, but not finding what I am looking for.

The CMS Physician fee schedule does show CPT 26055 with separate rates for facility and non-facility. Which means to me that there are at least some circumstances where it would be billed from a non-facility setting.

(I know that's not a definitive answer, but I often check the fee schedule as a starting point to see if I'm even on the right track. Before I keep digging for information that might not even exist.)

I agree with the previous answer. If there's a non-facility payment for a code you should be in good shape. To build on that a bit, column H of the RVU excel sheet is the non-fac N/A indicator. According to Read Me file CMS issues with the RVU file:

Under the resource-based system, we have developed practice expense relative value units specific to the facility and non-facility settings. Generally, under the resource-based system, the facility practice expense RVUs will be used for services performed in inpatient or outpatient hospital settings, emergency rooms, skilled nursing facilities, or ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs). The non-facility practice expense relative value units will be used for services furnished in all other settings. We did not develop non-facility practice expense relative value units for some services which, either by definition or in practice, are never (or rarely) performed in a non-facility setting. For example, by definition, the initial hospital care codes (CPT codes 99221-99223) are provided only in the hospital inpatient setting. Also, many major surgical procedures with a 90-day global period are almost always performed in the hospital inpatient setting. These facility-only codes are identified by a “NA” in the “NA Indicator” field.