Wiki who can bill facility charges?

kdt930

Contributor
Best answers
I am a CPC but have been working in a small hospital for a few years doing both professional and facility coding. Before starting here I only worked in private practices and was always under the impression that only hospitals and outpatient clinics that are associated with a hospital could bill facility charges. Recently a new coder with her RHIT came on staff and told me that all doctors office can now bill facility charges. This seems strange to me so I was just wondering if someone out there could verify that for me.

I am a CPC but have been working in a small hospital for a few years doing both professional and facility coding. Before starting here I only worked in private practices and was always under the impression that only hospitals and outpatient clinics that are associated with a hospital could bill facility charges. Recently a new coder with her RHIT came on staff and told me that all doctors office can now bill facility charges. This seems strange to me so I was just wondering if someone out there could verify that for me.

I work for a private Orthopedic practice of 9 Physicians, and we own a freestanding ASC. We are not affilitated with a hospital. We bill out the professional services for our Physicians and the ASC Facility charges too.
Jenna