Wiki Why this annual fee to maintain the certification?

Best answers
Hello There,

My name is Shael and i have completed ICD-10 certification last year, may I know why we need to pay this annual fee all the time while there is no job assistance provided by AAPC after the certification is completed?

I am not working anywhere and paying certification fee which is keep increasing every year, is there any specific reason you would like to share?

I think your confusion is in expecting that AAPC provides employment assistance. Certainly there is a job board, and they also provide the opportunity for members to attend local chapter meetings where they can network and potentially land jobs, but no other credentialing organization (think about the AMA or the ANA) guarantees or assists with job placement. AAPC's role is to provide the opportunity for you to obtain the certification, offer CEU opportunities, expect that you maintain the certification so that you continue to be informed and educated in a very fast-moving field, and offers opportunities for a variety of additional certifications to make you more marketable. In short, finding a job is your responsibility.

I think your confusion is in expecting that AAPC provides employment assistance. Certainly there is a job board, and they also provide the opportunity for members to attend local chapter meetings where they can network and potentially land jobs, but no other credentialing organization (think about the AMA or the ANA) guarantees or assists with job placement. AAPC's role is to provide the opportunity for you to obtain the certification, offer CEU opportunities, expect that you maintain the certification so that you continue to be informed and educated in a very fast-moving field, and offers opportunities for a variety of additional certifications to make you more marketable. In short, finding a job is your responsibility.

attend local chapter meetings? did that. its already a tight knit club where outsiders cant join. i aksed for help from 2 senior officers with no replies no help actually offered. i have applied and applied to both hospitals heere in topeka and one 20 mins away with no luck. i nearly killed myself takiing care of my 4 kids and spouse while attending school that since i was the only coder going thru school they cut my hours and classes. i had 5 hours 3 days a week for 3 months to learn what students before me had double the amount of time to learn. i was the only one to walk across the stage and graduate and be CPC certified!! i was the only one to pass the CPC test out of 9 people and i took it a whole 3 months early. I have also been killing myself to study on my own for the COC which i take this saturday. so please tell me what more i can do to get a job that i have worked my ass off to get certified and have applied so much and called and sent out resume after resume been on 3 interviews to end up not getting hired.. that resume says i have the CPC that resume says i went to school and graduated but what that resume doesnt tell you is how i find coding interesting and exciting and i loved doing it. and now almost a year out of school im depressed and discouarged becuz i did reach out, i did everything i was supposed to and yet here i am donating plasma and making crafts to support myself, four kids and a spouse who might lose her job soon due to down sizing and i could easily make more then she does to support us all if someone anyone just gave me a damn chance.. so in short local chapter meetings have no potential and i have tried over and over again to find a job on my own.

"attend local chapter meetings? did that. its already a tight knit club where outsiders cant join. i aksed for help from 2 senior officers with no replies no help actually offered. i have applied and applied to both hospitals heere in topeka and one 20 mins away with no luck. i nearly killed myself takiing care of my 4 kids and spouse while attending school that since i was the only coder going thru school they cut my hours and classes. i had 5 hours 3 days a week for 3 months to learn what students before me had double the amount of time to learn. i was the only one to walk across the stage and graduate and be CPC certified!! i was the only one to pass the CPC test out of 9 people and i took it a whole 3 months early. I have also been killing myself to study on my own for the COC which i take this saturday. so please tell me what more i can do to get a job that i have worked my ass off to get certified and have applied so much and called and sent out resume after resume been on 3 interviews to end up not getting hired.. that resume says i have the CPC that resume says i went to school and graduated but what that resume doesnt tell you is how i find coding interesting and exciting and i loved doing it. and now almost a year out of school im depressed and discouarged becuz i did reach out, i did everything i was supposed to and yet here i am donating plasma and making crafts to support myself, four kids and a spouse who might lose her job soon due to down sizing and i could easily make more then she does to support us all if someone anyone just gave me a damn chance.. so in short local chapter meetings have no potential and i have tried over and over again to find a job on my own."
I'm sorry that you've had such a hard time. I, too, went to the meetings for my local chapter and networked - and landed the job, the only one of my cohort of 12 to do so. From that job, I continued to network and meet coders from other sites and landed an even better job. Perhaps it's the presentation, dressing for the job at the meetings, and just being open to hearing about their perspectives on coding and their experiences; let them 'meet you' rather than being aggressive (sorry, but your post above does sound like a rant - and I get the frustration, really I do.) There just aren't that many coding jobs out there, at least away from the larger cities. But keep current in your knowledge, and apply for work other than coding. Two others from my cohort took jobs as reception/front desk and were able to move up to coding from there. Hang on, keep trying and widen your search. Many places will only hire if you already have experience, but there are some who will take new graduates. Good luck, and I hope you get a position to get you on your way.

I am also sorry that you feel that you have received less than satisfactory support from your local chapter. If you feel that you have addressed the issue on the local level to the best of your ability the next level would be to contact the AAPCCA Level or the AAPC Staff.

Both of these contacts can be reached by clinking on the link for your local chapter and then directory. Look for the header AAPCCA or AAPC Staff. These are some really great people and staff and will be very responsive to your concerns and work to help resolve them.