Wiki why use additional hiv code?

Kisha

Networker
Best answers
pt admitted for hernia and pt has hiv but is not symptomatic due to medication regimen. pt admitted for herniorrhaphy. codes are 550.90, (042), 53.02. WHY is the 042 relevant? I don't see the need for the 042 code because pt is not being treated for this disease at this time. If there is something that I am missing please explain. Thanks

I have a general surgeon and I would add the HIV only for any possible complications. At least its coded however, was it documented. If they didnt document then leave it off.

it's only mentioned in the note but not treated. this is ambulatory admission. I can't see the relevance in coding the 042.

042 indicates symptomatic HIV infection status, meaning that either currently or in the past this patient has had an HIV related illness such as AIDs or pneumocysistic pnemonia. If they are on meds and are aysmptomatic and have never had an HIV related illness then you use V08. and yes you always add this it helps justfy many things and does cover the provider. He may have a high than average usage of supplies or a longer than normal surgical procedure. It is very important for the patient that you use the correct code for the HIV.