Wiki Wide Excision Melanoma thigh

ASC CODER

True Blue
Best answers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surgeon is Excising a malignant tumor from the right thigh. I don't know the size yet but I wanted to make sure I have this straight.

Question: Because the tumor is malignant and in the thigh we are to use 27327 and not the full thicknes excision codes 11603?

I need some clarification on using the new excision codes.

Skin vs musculoskeletal

This will depend on whether the lesion extends down into the muscle/fascia.

If it is still confined to the skin, then you will use codes from the integumentary system.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Use the integumentary system codes for melanoma. The 2XXXX codes are for tumors that orginate in the subcutaneous level or fascia.

I just got done with about 2 hours of research and talking with the surgeon and I believe we are all on the same page with documentation of excisions, depth,size. Thank you for your input. That is what I came up with also..;)

skin vs. musculoskeletal

Just to confirm: If the lesion is extending down deeper, you are using the soft tissue codes even though the lesion originates in the cutaneous layers or are you using the integumentary codes only for melanomas, basal and squamous cell carcinomas? Thanks, JMahnke, CPC