Wiki 'with' and 'in' guideline

LuckyLily

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I would like your opinion.

If provider states 'patient has polyneuropathy (or neuropathy), we will reduce Taxol on this chemo treatment' would you require the provider to use linking language between the two to code G62.0-Drug induced polyneuropathy

Or would you follow the Alpha Index by going to Polyneuropathy>in (due to)>drug or medicament. Leading to G62.0.
Since in the coding guidelines the word 'in' is the same as 'with' and you can assume a causal relationship.

If provider doesn't state the linking language how do you know that that drug is causing the polyneuropathy?

I've always required the linking language, but looking at the alpha index and the 'with/in' guideline it shows as a causal relationship and you can code without provider specifically stating they are related. I'm trying to find a definitive resource that it is necessary to have the linking language.

I've always required the linking language, but looking at the alpha index and the 'with/in' guideline it shows as a causal relationship and you can code without provider specifically stating they are related. I'm trying to find a definitive resource that it is necessary to have the linking language.
I agree with @nickelclaw here, and I'd also note that since the G62.0 code instructions in the Tabular List include a 'use additional code' requirement for the T code to describe the drug causing the adverse effects. So it seems to me that this code is clearly only indicated to be used in association with documentation by a provider that is describing an adverse effect - you'd need that documentation in order to be able to assign the T code, which you wouldn't have if you were presuming the causal relationship. But I think your question is valid in that this does seem to be an exception to the usual 'with' and 'in' guidelines.