Wiki Work Related Injuries going to private health insurance

Best answers
I'm hoping to get some information from my fellow coders. We see quite a few patients with work-related injuries (that are not work comp). Many do not inform their employers (in many cases to keep from taking a drug test) or are self-employed. I seem to remember something in my CPB certification stating that you CAN NOT file to their private health insurance if you know it is work related. Our office policy has always been that it has to go through work-comp or they are cash pay. We have struggled to find definitive information on this subject and I am interested in any information or practices your office follows in these situations. We try to screen these upon making the appointment, however many times we are unaware that is work-related until they see the doctor. Do you bill these with the work-related injury code, or not at all? I would appreciate any input on this.

I don't know about self employed but in my experience working for a commercial payers is unless workers comp determines its not work related we wont pay. Denials for failure to follow workers filing requirements were not accepted.