Wiki Working AR Reports

kfrycpc

Best answers
I hope this is the right forum in which to post this question :D

How often do you all run an AR report? Monthly? Bi weekly? At my old job, we ran one monthly, which I feel is sufficient. For the ASC I work at, they just started having us run it weekly to work on the outstanding accounts. To me, this seems like extra work because I don't think it allows for enough time "in between" working the accounts from week to week. Any thoughts or suggestions on this are VERY welcome. I want to go to my manager with some support on why I think less often is a better way to go. Any other suggestions on thoughts on a good process to keeping AR current (besides the obvious), are more than welcome!

Thanks!

Maybe there is a specific reason why they want the reports weekly. I would look into that first and see what drives that decision.

Maybe there is a specific reason why they want the reports weekly. I would look into that first and see what drives that decision.

It was just something new they started and picked weekly to start with. They hadn't had their billers run AR reports before to work on that would be handed in so again, this is new and since I have experience with doing them less often, I was going to suggest that we do so. I was posting to get ideas to support this.

I'm assuming you're referring to aging reports, right? If so then I think best practice is every 3-6 weeks depending on the payer. After resubmissions, corrected claims, reconsiderations, appeals, etc it will take most payers at least 2 weeks before coming to a decision about the new information you sent them. Then another week or two before you receive another denial or payment.

I hope that timeframe lets you show them that running an aging every week is too often. Depending on how you A/R department is set up it could take someone 2 weeks or longer to get through their entire aging report anyway.

I'm assuming you're referring to aging reports, right? If so then I think best practice is every 3-6 weeks depending on the payer. After resubmissions, corrected claims, reconsiderations, appeals, etc it will take most payers at least 2 weeks before coming to a decision about the new information you sent them. Then another week or two before you receive another denial or payment.

I hope that timeframe lets you show them that running an aging every week is too often. Depending on how you A/R department is set up it could take someone 2 weeks or longer to get through their entire aging report anyway.

Thank you Jeremy. THIS is exactly the wordage I needed to explain to my manager about the "turnaround time" and why a weekly report was really not providing an accurate picture of the AR, not to mention wasting time on accounts where nothing was going to change within a week. We are now doing AR every other week instead of every week. :D

Thanks again!
Kellie

that's awesome, glad you were able to use that info and get a better process outlined for the A/R department

I agree with Jeremy. I would run every three to six weeks, depending on the payer. Some payers have a 30 to 60 day timely filing limit (boo!).

Lena