Wiki Working in Compliance

imcbmcc

Contributor
Best answers
I am reaching out to see if anyone here works in Compliance and how they like the position. Is there room for growth and enough variety?

Thank you in advance :)

I am a quality auditor and coding researcher. I also am part of our CPC group that meets weekly to discuss compliance. Compliance actually saved my desire to work in this field. I was previously a claim recovery team lead that took my CPC and passed as magna cum laude. My manager let me code part time and do claim recovery part time. My quality was great and I got bored. I started thinking what else is there other than management? Which I didn't want to do. My manager already had bigger plans for me as a quality auditor and researcher because i'm so thorough. While thinking about going back to school I was going to go back for IT versus continuing in the medical field. Until I read the salary surveys in a AAPC newsletter. 70K for compliance was appealing. Plus it's interesting to me. So I signed up for the CPCO and I am getting on the job experience at the same time. After the CPCO I will be going back to get an associates/bachelors in healthcare. Compliance and maybe working for CERT, the OIG, CMS, and/or an auditing company, etc. is way more interesting to me than scrubbing claims or management.

I forgot to mention what I audit. The audits I do are to detect fraud, waste and abuse. If it's identified by me I work with my manager, cpc team and other teams on corrective actions like refund projects and re-education to prevent it in the future. We have a separate chart auditor which was something I wasn't interested in either even though part of my job includes it. I don't specifically grade physicians on documentation for e/m's. The research I do is on new and old procedures, CMS's regulations, final rules, OIG guidance and whether we are being compliant with what we are billing, want to bill or changes in rules to stay compliant. There's a lot of variety and I don't get bored often any more. Only when working on huge audits and corrective actions that take time.

Last edited:
I am a quality auditor and coding researcher. I also am part of our CPC group that meets weekly to discuss compliance. Compliance actually saved my desire to work in this field. I was previously a claim recovery team lead that took my CPC and passed as magna cum laude. My manager let me code part time and do claim recovery part time. My quality was great and I got bored. I started thinking what else is there other than management? Which I didn't want to do. My manager already had bigger plans for me as a quality auditor and researcher because i'm so thorough. While thinking about going back to school I was going to go back for IT versus continuing in the medical field. Until I read the salary surveys in a AAPC newsletter. 70K for compliance was appealing. Plus it's interesting to me. So I signed up for the CPCO and I am getting on the job experience at the same time. After the CPCO I will be going back to get an associates/bachelors in healthcare. Compliance and maybe working for CERT, the OIG, CMS, and/or an auditing company, etc. is way more interesting to me than scrubbing claims or management.
How can join the CPC group that you mention in your post?