Wiki Would this HPI qualify for an initial inpatient code 99221-99223?

Without the MDM available, this HPI is Extended 99221
cc abdominal pain
HPI location, duration and associated signs and symptoms
ROS gastrointestinal, constitutional, ent, respiratory, cardiovascular
PFSH no prior surgical history

Without the MDM available, this HPI is Extended 99221
cc abdominal pain
HPI location, duration and associated signs and symptoms
ROS gastrointestinal, constitutional, ent, respiratory, cardiovascular
PFSH no prior surgical history
Thank you for your reply Carmen! The reason I ask is because I was under the impression that an extended hpi was 4+ hpi elements. And there are only 3. So in this case, I don't think I could even qualify for 99221. I have been down coding to subsequent inpatient codes. Just want to confirm that with other coders their opinion on this.

Hi, I am new to coding. I see only three elements for HPI here; therefore, you cannot use initial inpatient. You will use subsequent inpatient. We have location, duration and associated signs and symptoms =3 :)

I also see 3 HPI elements here. I would note - it is possible there is another HPI element in the body of the note and not under the HPI heading. You may count items regardless of where in the note they are located; you may not count an item twice or "double dip".
I also would code this as subsequent if I cannot get to 99221 detailed history, detailed exam and straightforward MDM.

I also see 3 HPI elements here. I would note - it is possible there is another HPI element in the body of the note and not under the HPI heading. You may count items regardless of where in the note they are located; you may not count an item twice or "double dip".
I also would code this as subsequent if I cannot get to 99221 detailed history, detailed exam and straightforward MDM.
That's true, thanks!