Wiki Wound care coding

Peggy62

New
Best answers
I code for the local Wound Care facility, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if coding a leg ulcer along with I87.2 as the primary for a venous leg ulcer is inappropriate? The coding book doesn't tell us to include a code for the ulcer, so I was wondering. I've always added it, because I87.2 won't meet medical necessity if a debridement is done. Also, I was wondering if I was given some incorrect information regarding leg ulcers, and diabetes. Years ago, I was told that diabetic ulcers only occur on the feet, occasionally the ankle, but never on the legs. I was recently told that I should assume a causal relationship between leg ulcers and diabetes when both are present but no other cause for the leg ulcer is stated. I thought that rule only applied to foot ulcers. Can anyone help? I'm training a new coder, so I want to make sure I give her the right information.

Last edited:
hello, you cannot bill both I87.2 and I87.XXX. one is the general condition, the second is the condition with addition complications. I87.xxx, I70.xxx, I83.xxx as well as E11.62x require secondary location codes so always add L97/98. And I only use one of the 4 as the reason for the ulcer. If you add all with the ulcer suffix, the claim denies.