Wiki Wound Care Coding

Peggy62

New
Best answers
I code for our local Wound Care facility, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if coding a leg ulcer as a secondary dx, with I87.2 as the primary for a venous leg ulcer is inappropriate? The coding book doesn't tell us to include a code for the ulcer, so I was wondering. I've always added it, because I87.2 won't meet medical necessity if a debridement is done, nor does it describe the location/severity of an ulcer. If it is in fact inappropriate to include it, I'd like to know so I can correct that habit.

I would code both. If you are questioning this, why do you think it would be inappropriate.

I didn't necessarily think it was inappropriate. I attended a webinar, and it was stated that since the code book doesn't tell us to add a code for the ulcer, it would be inappropriate to do so. I've always coded both, but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything I shouldn't be doing. Thank you for the feed back. I appreciate your taking the time.

For a venous ulcer, code I87.31x for chronic venous hypertension with ulcer of extremity, which then indicates to USE Additional code for site and severity of ulcer with L97.xxx. This sequence provides the medical necessity for the care. I87.2 is non-specific for this issue.