• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Wound Repair

tbramhall

Networker
Best answers
Is anyone using the simple wound closure codes if the ED provider is using silver nitrate to cautize and then dress the wound?

808coder

Best answers
Wound repair

Is anyone using the simple wound closure codes if the ED provider is using silver nitrate to cautize and then dress the wound?
according to CPT guidelines wound closure is designated by sutures, staples or tissue adhesive (ie, dermabond). If the ED MD is using cautery and depending on degree of difficulty I might go w/ a higher E/M if appropriate. Hope this helps. :)

Rncoder

Best answers
HI..just to throw this out there...simple repair definition in my cpt states that simple closure ..."This includes ... chemical or electrocauterization of wounds not closed" I have used simple repair when a wound has been cauterized (without sutures, dermabond etc... )

Last edited: