X modifier for multiple units of surgical pathology code

TnRushFan

Networker
Best answers
Good afternoon everyone,

When I was hired at my current job at a hospital many, many years ago I was instructed not to append -59 to multiple counts of the pathology codes [eg. 88300-26 x2]. We have never had any issues...now our billing department is wanting the "X" modifiers appended to them.

My question:
Is it appropriate to code 88300-26-XU for the gross description of two separate specimen? Or any other surgical pathology code with multiple counts of the same code, gross was just an example?

Thanks

bbooks

Expert
Best answers
I presume you mean you've been instructed to code this way for Medicare. Where I work, I am coding for MAC in two different states. It is frustrating that MACs differ on their preference for coding multiple specimens, especially if the #units exceed MUE, and when we have multiple specimens and multiple reports from the same DOS. We have been using 59 modifier instead of X-modifiers as well, but we've been having more trouble this past year with denials and having to appeal. We are currently trying to decide if X-modifier would be preferable.

The X-modifier choices are:
XE – “Separate encounter, A service that is distinct because it occurred during a separate encounter” This modifier should only be used to describe separate encounters on the same date of service.
XS – “Separate Structure, A service that is distinct because it was performed on a separate organ/structure”
XP – “Separate Practitioner, A service that is distinct because it was performed by a different practitioner”
XU – “Unusual Non-Overlapping Service, The use of a service that is distinct because it does not overlap usual components of the main service”

To understand your question completely, could you provide a sample report? Also, in the case of using 88300, were there any other pathology charges on that same DOS?

Thanks...we are trying to figure this out, too. :)