Wiki X-ray being done in office

trose45116

Expert
Best answers
I would like to get some input on how other orthopedic offices are doing the x-rays in the office. Do you have a separate report for the X-ray or do you add it to the note for that day? I have received a denial from UHC stating we have no supporting documentation the X-ray being done that day. Is there something new that changed on how the X-ray is to be documented. Would like to hear what others are doing.

Thanks

Our orthopedic providers document/reference the radiology performed within the clinic report AND in a separate radiology report.

Our ortho providers document/interpret the xrays in their office note. They do not do a separate report.

We have also started receiving denials from UHC with x-rays, we have been told the office visit is inclusive to the x-ray and not separately reimbursable.

My Providers have a separate x-ray report from the office note.

with that said, United Healthcare has a strange new internal edit that is bundling x-rays with the E&M.

I am having no other bundling issues with any other insurance at this time.

Our work around for this edit is to place a modifier 25 on the E&M which gets them both paid.

I have spent many hour on the phone with United Healthcare reps to get a resolve but they do not understand me and just transfer my call to someone else that does not understand me. I have contacted our local provider relations advocate (who knew we had one?) in mid January but there is still no resolve.

We have received denials for uhc on X-rays where we only bill the professional component they recently have changed their guidelines to when billing one component it is included in the office visit