Wiki X-RAY Question

BJTRAISTER

Networker
Best answers
I work for the radiology department in hospital - we see a number of patients from ICU that have had feeding tubes placed and the service requests an x-ray to make sure the tube is in the proper place.

My understanding is that they do one or two views that is centered over the diaphram such that it covers the lower part of the chest and upper part of the abdomen. Any suggestions on a CPT for that one? I'm looking at either 71120 for the sternum (since that is where the diaphram is essentially) or perhaps the special views of the chest since that code does not have a specific number of views attached to it.

Thoughts anyone?:confused:

Jennifer - no that code would not apply because they are not doing a complete of either the chest or abdomen. That's my issue, they are shooting right in the middle :)

As a side note, I see that you have your RCC - I am going to be taking that exam in May - any pointers?

Last edited:
When our radiologists would do these for feeding tubes or cath placements they were very precise about what they ordered 74000 or 71010, I have never run into the problem where they do not order something specific.

One of the radiologists actually came to see me on this because I asked them to specify what they are doing and he explained they are doing right down the middle - gotta love a teaching facility and unlisted codes :)

Hi
You would bill with cpt 74000 (KUB). They are placing the G-tube into the stomach. The abdominal film or (KUB) is done to make sure that the placement is in the stomach and not in the chest. The film is shot darker than a regular abdominal film in order to see where the tube is. I'm also a registered xray technologist and used to perform these exams. You would NOT bill the cpt 74022 because you are not doing a whole abdominal series.

Hope this helps
Joyce, R.N., R.T.(R), BHSH, CPC