Wiki x-ray/ultrasound billing of transportation of portable

Best answers
I work for a mobile (ultrasound/x-ray/EKG/Echo) imaging company. We have been trying to find ANY information published on the RULES allowed for the billing of the HCPCS codes R0070 - R0075, transportation of portable x-ray equipment (ultrasound not stated in description). Also for HCPCS R0076, transportation of portable EKG. We have heard in the past companies have used these codes for a period of time, then have Medicare come back and take all that money back from them. We feel we should be able to bill for the codes since we are registered as an Independent Diagnostic Testing Facility (IDTF) as well as a registered Mobile X-Ray company.

Does anyone have any resources or publication they know of with answers??

Portable Xray

Hello:

I used to bill portable x-ray a few years ago. Medicare stopped paying R0076 quite a while ago. We never had problems being paid for R0070 and R0075. If I recall correctly, we had trouble with one HMO denying R0070 as bundled, but it was ultimately paid after an appeal to the Center for Medicare Services. If I recall, we had a billing guide for portable x-ray, and the billing guide stated specifically that R0070 and R0075 are payable for portable x-ray providers. If I can remember who published the guide, I will let you know. It may have been Medicare.

Good luck!