Wiki X-Rays

LLRodgers

Best answers
Hello,

Can anyone help me on coding x-rays during a global period. Should they be coded as follows: Ex: TKA and on fu they did an x-ray to make sure everything is okay.

Z98.890
73560 - LT - 58

Or is this part of the Global Package does it get a modifier 58 or not.

I just started coding x-rays and I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
LLR

Diagnostic tests are excluded from the global surgical package so the global modifiers are not appropriate and not required for billing x-rays done within the global period. Modifier 58 should only be used for staged/related therapeutic procedures done by the surgeon during the postoperative period.

I agree with Thomas7331.

The following services are not included in the global surgical payment. These services may be billed and paid for separately:

• Initial consultation or evaluation of the problem by the surgeon to determine the need for major surgeries. This is billed separately using the modifier “-57” (Decision for Surgery). This visit may be billed separately only for major surgical procedures. Services of other physicians related to the surgery, except where the surgeon and the other physician(s) agree on the transfer of care. This agreement may be in the form of a letter or an annotation in the discharge summary, hospital record, or ASC record.

• Visits unrelated to the diagnosis for which the surgical procedure is performed, unless the visits occur due to complications of the surgery.

• Treatment for the underlying condition or an added course of treatment which is not part of normal recovery from surgery.

Diagnostic tests and procedures, including diagnostic radiological procedures.

• Clearly distinct surgical procedures that occur during the post-operative period which are not re-operations or treatment for complications.

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...oducts/downloads/GloballSurgery-ICN907166.pdf