Wiki Xray Coding

amylmor72

Best answers
Could someone clarify coding a technical component vs a professional component of Xrays for me? When our center first opened our providers did both, took the xray and read the xray. Now we are contemplating only taking the xray and having a 3rd party business read the xray and compile a written report of it. The 3rd party business rep keeps making the statement that our billing dept will love it this way because we will not have to add the modifiers anymore. ?? Have I missed something?
Thank you!

modifier

Hi
TC mod for the use of x ray. Ex 71010,TC. The radiologist who will interpret or read the x ray will bill 71010,26
Jerry Roxas, CPC

Some services, such as diagnostics have a professional and a technical component. The professional component represents the physician work---usually interpretation. The code is billed with a -26 modifier, and the payment reflects only the work done by the physician.

The technical component represents the actual equipment usage....the machine, the technician running the equipment, the overhead to use the equipment. That's reported (except in a facility) with the -TC modifier, and the payment excludes the physician work.

It's my understanding that you'd continue to bill the -TC if you're billing on a 1500. If you're billing on the UB (as a facility), you don't add the modifier.