• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

xray help !!!

Best answers
my office is billing a knee xray 73564 with a 73560 (they are calling this a stress view), I think its wrong I think it should be 73564 and 77071 - any advice and input would be helpful, thanks

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
You are correct. 73564 with 73560 would be considered unbundling as 73564 is 4+ views.

CPT 77071 accounts for the extra work on the technical side to apply the stress. Per AMA guidelines, the professional component for the stress view is included in the 73564

Last edited:
Best answers
ok because I had asked the doctor and they said they did manipulate the knee while the xray was taken, so 77071 would be okay to bill correct? thanks

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
77071 is appropriate as long as your physician is billing for Global or Technical only component of the x-ray

Best answers
xray help

im sorry i am new to this xray coding, global or technical we have the machine and xray tech, so if the patient comes in and they do the stress fracture we cant just bill 77071, we need to put a 26 on it, im confused.

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
Since you own the equipment, tech and the radiologist you would bill 1 claim with both 73564 and 77071 no modifiers.

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
If another entity did the Technical portion and your radiologist only did the reading it would be 73564-26. The 77071 can only be billed by the entity billing for the technical component