Wiki Z codes question

Best answers
Hello. I hope I am allowed to ask this question. I am currently studying for a CPC certification. Something I have not figured out about the ICD-10 Z codes is why they aren't listed in the alphabetic index like other codes. As far as I know, I have to go straight to chapter 21 in the tabular index. Is the little index on p. 1263 "this chapter contains the following blocks" the only index we get? So do I just have to read through them?

Hello. I hope I am allowed to ask this question. I am currently studying for a CPC certification. Something I have not figured out about the ICD-10 Z codes is why they aren't listed in the alphabetic index like other codes. As far as I know, I have to go straight to chapter 21 in the tabular index. Is the little index on p. 1263 "this chapter contains the following blocks" the only index we get? So do I just have to read through them?

Can you give an example of a Z code that you think isn't listed in the alphabetic index?

Most of them can be found under "Examination (for) (following) (general) (of) (routine)"

For example Z00.00 is found in the index under "Examination (for) (following) (general) (of) (routine)" > "annual (adult) (periodic) (physical)"

In addition to 'examination' mentioned above, many of the Z codes can be found under terms such as 'encounter' or 'problem' or 'history'.

But I agree with you, it is often hard to get to many of the Z codes from the alphabetic index because the alphabetic terms are sometimes counter-intuitive. Even after coding for many years, I still have difficulty arriving at some codes by the index and often have to go through the tabular list as you describe. As you become more familiar with the codes, this will get easier, but I think it is always something of a problem to find these codes.