Wiki Z Codes

richelle25

Guru
Best answers
Medicare is denying xrays when using Z code, such has Z98.890, denying stating non covered service because this is deemed routine. Any suggestions what dx to use when the patient is in the global period?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never use Z98.890 as medical necessity as it does not communicate any necessary information. If this is routine for post op follow up then use an aftercare code with a code for history of the condition that needed the surgery. Can you give a specific example of a condition you are performing radiology for post op.

Thank you for responding, and of course I can not think of a certain example, sorry. So do you think we should just the diagnosis for aftercare? Usually, our surgeries are rotator cuff tear that I have the issue with. Thanks again

if this were a followup xray following a procedure for an injury then you do not use a Z code for follow up you use the injury code with the 7th character D. so for a follow up xray following a repair of a right rotator cuff tear due to trauma you would use the S46.011D if it were not due to trauma use the Z47.89.

Last edited: