Wiki Z00.00 for full skin check

CatchTheWind

Best answers
We have a patient who wants us to use Z00.00 as the diagnosis for her annual skin check.

I always thought that this hurts the patient because they can only have one Z00.00 per year and they need to use it for their annual physical with their PCP. Am I correct about this?

Apart from that, is this code even appropriate for a skin exam without a general physical?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the patient should dictate which diagnoses you can or cant report. What is the reason for the skin check? If there is a past hx of skin disease, the screen wouldn't be considered general/normal and you would need to code the history along with screening. Does the patient's insurance cover a skin exam as well? Some payers either assess co-pay or dont cover it at all.

I agree, the patient cannot choose the code - the code must be based on the physician's documentation. The most common reason for a skin exam when there is no symptom or complaint from the patient would be a screening for skin cancers, Z12.83. Z00.00 is for a general medical examination, not for a skin exam. But again, the code must go by the physician's documentation.

z12.83 is the code that should be used on a full Derm is not considered for the Z00.00 and to highest level of specify Z12.83 is better and of course a history if they have it adds to why they came in for the screening