Question Z01.89

dcraven

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
How can this code be used? If the patient comes in to the office for a lab draw and does not have a definitive diagnosis can Z01.89 be used along with a sign/symptom?

dcraven:unsure:

Hi,
Have you noticed the EXCLUDE1 note under the category code Z01? there is an exclude1 note that states: encounter for laboratory, radiologic and imaging examinations for sign(s) and symptom(s) - code to the sign(s) or system(s)

Z01.89 is not designed as a placeholder for a missing diagnosis - as the code descriptor states, it is for a 'other specified' reason, so using this codes indicates that there is a reason for the test which does not fall under any other more specific code.

I would not assign this code, or any code for that matter, without some documentation from the provider to back it up - you risk having the patient's claims denied or paid incorrectly if you just assign something without knowing the actual reason that the patient is having the service performed. If you don't have a definitive diagnosis from the provider, just use the symptoms that you've been given, or query them for the missing information if needed.

Hi,
Have you noticed the EXCLUDE1 note under the category code Z01? there is an exclude1 note that states: encounter for laboratory, radiologic and imaging examinations for sign(s) and symptom(s) - code to the sign(s) or system(s)
Thank you wisbyusha That is the my understanding as well when I researched.