Wiki Z13.32 Encounter for screening for maternal depression

ErinPDX85

Networker
Best answers
Hello fellow peds coders!

I was hoping for some insight into this new 2019 ICD 10 code, Z13.32 Encounter for screening for maternal depression. The ICD 10 book I have does not give an age or gender restriction, so I was thinking about using it on the Edinburgh screening. However, when I attempted to use it on a newborn male's record, it got an error saying it cannot be used for males. On the ICD10data website, it says female only. Since there's a conflict between the website and ICD 10 book, I was hoping for some input from this community.

Thanks so much!
Erin

The descriptor of the code being for maternal depression would be what restricts the usage to female and the age range would need to be childbearing age range. There would not need to be an exclusionary note in addition.

That is what I had initially thought as well! I attended a webinar yesterday and the presenter said to use it on the newborn record so it made me question my initial instinct.

I cant even imagine why she would think this is appropriate for a newborn record. How do you even screen a newborn for depression? Also My book does indicate this is a female only code for 15-65 years old.

Your guess is as good as mine! What book do you have? Mine is the ICD-10-CM Complete Official Codebook by the AMA. I am highly frustrated that my book does not have that Female Only info.